Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding an old Kyosho Nexus

Rebuilding an old Kyosho Nexus

I inherited a Kyosho Nexus that was never finished. I got the heli from a guy who bought the kit in about 1995, built it to about 95% finished and after trying to fly his friend's heli and crashing it a few times, decided it just wasn't for him, so the nexus never even had fuel in it and was left to gather dust in a remote corner of his engineering shop. It sat there for about 17 years, then a few months ago, he told me I could have it if I rebuilt it and got it flying. It has a brand new OS 32 SX engine, all the original, unused electronics, including Futaba S3001 servos and a CSM gyro that's about the size of a box of washing powder!

The heli was in a bit of a sad state when I got hold of it...

... anyway, insomnia got the better of me last night, so I decided to strip and clean it. It was manky but once the initial layer of crud was removed, it cleaned up very well. I was actually pretty amazed. It took a fair bit of elbow grease but it looks like new again.

Full size picture here... http://www.busaboost.com/pictures/dismantled-heli.jpg

The bearings are all good and the engine is as new, so I'll order the bits it needs next week and probably start the rebuild in a week or two.

I'd like to see how these old birds flew so I've decided to use all the old electronics, including the gyro... wish me luck.

Established Member
    Class james cant wait to see her finished.

We will have to meet up during the summer for a fly. maybe arrange a meet with the others from the forum .

sean.

Cheers Sean.... sounds like a plan. I should be roadworthy again by summer.

Established Member
    that looks like a real challenge you got there James and should be an interesting one for sure.i'l have to keep an eye on this thread now to see how it all pans out....should be good.

keep the pics coming and by the look of it you've got the crappy bit done now thats its all cleaned up.

good luck with her.

PS....like the idea of a get together Sean.

The boom supports and a few of the missing pieces arrived yesterday, so I set about rebuilding it. I got it as far as I could but it still needs the servo linkages, a set of blades and the receiver and gyro fitting to finish the job.

I didn't like the look of the original aluminium boom supports, and rather than pay more than new price for a second hand set of original ones off ebay, I decided to chance a set of carbon ones off a T-Rex 600 but they've pushed the horizontal stabiliser back a few inches, so I'll have to see how it flies but I'll probably end up shortening them... or maybe use a smaller stabiliser.

I'll post again when it's ready for the air.

Established Member
    Looks great james. great job.

sean.

Established Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sean1098 View Post
    Looks great james. great job.

sean.
    +1 keep up the great work

Cheers lads... I've ordered the last of the bits for it so if it all gets here on time, it should be ready for flying next weekend.

Established Member
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Cheers lads... I've ordered the last of the bits for it so if it all gets here on time, it should be ready for flying next weekend.
    ack yer flying James....pardon the pun

according to the weather its to be dry and cold all week and into next weekend so fingers crossed you might get her up and maidened.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Hi. Can you tell me where you buy your Kyosho parts. I will be getting a Caliber 30 but parts don't seem to be out there, Thanks.