Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie here

Newbie here

Hi all. Im new to all this stuff but have been interested in it for years. I have just bought a Kyosho calibre 30 with loads of bits. Is this a good heli and are parts easily got for it. I haven't even got the thing yet but should be with me early next week so I will be enoying the hell out of yous lol. Cheers, Declan.

Welcome to the site.

I bought one for my nephew to build... They're an old heli and I think you'll struggle to find parts for it, which means it's not an ideal first heli, as pretty much everyone crashes in the early stages. That said, if you don't crash it, it's a fun little heli.

Established Member
    welcome to the site Declan.

its not a matter of "if" you crash its a case of "when".sorry to be the bearer of bad news .

parts may well be hard to source but google is a big place so if you find somewhere be sure to bookmark it.

it probably would be a good idea to get yourself a decent sim and practice like mad on it to you can hover confidently enough or if you cant wait that long do as I did and bought a small electric heli to learn on,less scary than a nitro to start with and much cheaper to repair....and if you can hover a small electric heli the the bigger ones will be a complete doddle.

good luck with it all bud.

PS
    if your buying it 2nd hand be sure to go through every nut and bolt to make sure all is good and do a complete set up again for your own transmitter.NEVER take any heli as a "ready to fly" it simply doesn't exist mate.
    Last edited by gubber12345; 21-11-2013 at 08:00 PM.

Good advice there... You should always rebuild a second-hand heli. My first 700n only needed a radio when I bought it, but after stripping it down and replacing what needed replacing, it would have been nearly as cheap to buy a new heli.

Thanks for the replys folks. Where is the nearest club in Dublin I can get involved with. I might just take your advice and buy a smaller electric heli to learn the ropes. Iv looked around the web and parts don't seem to be too difficult to get but I bet the part that I break first will be impossible to get, murphys law and all that.

Established Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cosworth1 View Post
    Thanks for the replys folks. Where is the nearest club in Dublin I can get involved with. I might just take your advice and buy a smaller electric heli to learn the ropes. Iv looked around the web and parts don't seem to be too difficult to get but I bet the part that I break first will be impossible to get, murphys law and all that.
    ohhh yeahhhh and you can take that to the bank

Quote Originally Posted by gubber12345 View Post
    welcome to the site Declan.

its not a matter of "if" you crash its a case of "when".sorry to be the bearer of bad news .

parts may well be hard to source but google is a big place so if you find somewhere be sure to bookmark it.

it probably would be a good idea to get yourself a decent sim and practice like mad on it to you can hover confidently enough or if you cant wait that long do as I did and bought a small electric heli to learn on,less scary than a nitro to start with and much cheaper to repair....and if you can hover a small electric heli the the bigger ones will be a complete doddle.

good luck with it all bud.

PS
    if your buying it 2nd hand be sure to go through every nut and bolt to make sure all is good and do a complete set up again for your own transmitter.NEVER take any heli as a "ready to fly" it simply doesn't exist mate.

Well I took your advice and bought a WL Toys v911 to practice on. When I finally figured out how to get it going and adjusted the swash plate, the tail motor burnt out so now im waiting on a motor for this to be delivered. I initially tought that parts for these Calibers where out there but I might have been wrong, I can find a few small parts but thet are not redilliy available. Can anyone tell me do any other rotor blades fit this thing or any of the newer kyoshos have inter changeable parts. Thanks.

I've no idea where you'll find parts for them. I have a Caliber 3 and a Nexus 30 here and I don't think anything is interchangeable on them.

Established Member
    this is the type of electric heli I practiced with Declan,its fully CP and a great wee trainer heli.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/esky-belt-...item2c77a44a36

Hi declan, wl 911 is going to be different from the big heli, cuz it's a fixed pitch heli, it levels automatically.
    A simulator is much better if you wanna learn cheap.