Thread: Brand vs china

Brand vs china

Hey guys!
    I started this hobby with a turnigy 9x transmitter and i am using one right now.
    I see most of you use spektrum or other brand radios.
    Is it really worth to pay that much extra money? What does it bring extra to justify the price?

I guess the feeling is that more expensive = better quality, and when you have a few grand tied up in a heli, you want the best TX you can afford... I guess.

Established Member
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I guess the feeling is that more expensive = better quality, and when you have a few grand tied up in a heli, you want the best TX you can afford... I guess.
    +1 with james on this one.

try ebay you can probably pick up a decent spektrum on there for about half the price of a new one.

Some people believe that paying more means better quality but this is not always the case. Remember all the faulty spectrum tx units?
    I've always been a futaba man myself but i always buy second hand. I currently use a ff9 with a cheap Chinese orange 2.4 module for my electric stuff (great little module never gave me any bother) and a 9z ( this transmitter was the dogs dangly bits 10 years ago) on 35mhz for my nitro and petrol stuff.
    My friend uses the same tx as you and its a great unit far better than some of the spectrum stuff in my opinion. he also just bought the fr sky taranis and wow is it good if you can find it in stock anywhere!

I have been using Frsky now for three years in all my models (including my Jet), and I would class it as bullet proof, it out performs the big brand names in many aspects, range, speed of locking on, low voltage (no spectrum brown out worries here) and most certainly cost, plus the telemetry is superb.

The quality of a Turnigy 9x transmitter may not be on the same level as JR, but there are lots of people around the world using them, I think there is three guys in our club using Turnigy 9X and I have not heard of anyone having any problems, ideal radio to start off with with very cheap receivers.

How well do those tx's bind/work with other brand rx's say the 2.4ghz tx's? I was tempted by FrSky,
    But ended up getting a dx7 for 50 quid on eBay. Needed to be glued back together and the Ariel fixin. I went for the Spektrum as I needed to get something that would match up with a Ar7200bx.

There is basically no brand of 2.4 that bind with another, all the 2.4 systems have there own protocol frsky does make futaba compatible receivers as does hobbyking with the orange range that works with spektrum.
    It is not like the old days when any 35mhz receiver would work so long as you used the right crystals.