Up To 38% Off For Kingkong RC Accessories

Thread: Flightlines

Flightlines

What is happening to the flightlines, this month's one (Feb 2014) is really poor and the quality of the photographs are like something done for a first year school newsletter not the magazine for Ireland's largest aviation association.

The pictures Should all be in colour, but you could excuse the b&w, if at least they were viewable and not that dark that they may as well not be there.

Dermot Gannon went to the trouble of writing a build on his Elder but his effort was just ruined by the way it is presented, also there is one pic in the heli report and all you see is a line up if flags too dark and small to see anything else.

Do the printing company not send a proof ? There is no way you would let it go to print like this, if you got one. This magazine needs a re vamp and needs to be colour, who in this day uses black and white.

If you want to see how it should be done take a look at the November 2013 issue of the SMFAI scale news, 52 pages done in full colour and much larger pictures so that you can actually see what is in them.
    Last edited by SeamusOD; 05-03-2014 at 01:25 PM.

I've just taken a look at the PDF version and the pictures seem to all be in colour...

http://www.maci.ie/flight-lines/FlightLines-2014-02.pdf

Although I have to admit, that heli article isn't something I'd expect from the Helicopter Secretary of a magazine. As you say, it's more akin to a school project.

The photos in that article are terrible but this one is really special.

It wouldn't have taken much effort to enhance the photos of the results and straighten them on the page before submitting the article for print, and they really should have been retyped.

1/10 for effort.

The pdf is always in colour but the printed book is b&w, but even then as you demonstrated with pic above none of them have been improved for better viewing. It is so easy with free programs like paintshop pro etc to brighten and improve pictures, if it the person who submitted them fault ask for better, dont just print them anyway, that pic above with the flags is a joke.
    MACI need to do something with the magazine, I have submitted articles in past but would not again until the quality is improved with full colour.

I'm quite happy with the quality of the reproduction and photos, but then I don't ask for the printed copy anymore. I would imagine the cost of printing a hard copy is exorbitant, and MACI would prefer people use the web or email pdf version. As for the actual quality of the content, they have to use what people supply. They get very few contributions, so beggars can't be choosers. I have always wanted to nag and moan about the content in the past, but I feel you can't really do that unless you are making the effort to contribute yourself. Which I am now doing ...
    I land towards the street...

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I've just taken a look at the PDF version and the pictures seem to all be in colour...

http://www.maci.ie/flight-lines/FlightLines-2014-02.pdf

Although I have to admit, that heli article isn't something I'd expect from the Helicopter Secretary of a magazine. As you say, it's more akin to a school project.

The photos in that article are terrible but this one is really special.

It wouldn't have taken much effort to enhance the photos of the results and straighten them on the page before submitting the article for print, and they really should have been retyped.

1/10 for effort.
    The PDF I'm viewing doesn't look like that at all? As a former photographer I'm pretty sensitive to photo quality, but the PDF is not that bad...
    I land towards the street...

I'm not going to line I hardly read flight lines any more as the content is never usually great and there is nothing to interest me in it. I did make an offer of putting in content in the past and although the initial reply was to send it in i never got a response to my email asking about length pictures etc so i did'nt bother. Makes me wonder why i bother paying the €70 a year to be a member when i can have stand alone insurance that covers me and if i want the model as well for a fraction of the price Or even better I could join the bmaa 32.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I'm quite happy with the quality of the reproduction and photos, but then I don't ask for the printed copy anymore. I would imagine the cost of printing a hard copy is exorbitant, and MACI would prefer people use the web or email pdf version. As for the actual quality of the content, they have to use what people supply. They get very few contributions, so beggars can't be choosers. I have always wanted to nag and moan about the content in the past, but I feel you can't really do that unless you are making the effort to contribute yourself. Which I am now doing ...
    You need to see this months printed copy, you would then understand.