Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Plane..

Established Member
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I've got a couple of spare 90 size heli engines here, and I was wondering if it's possible to fit them into a plane. Has anyone ever done it or know what's involved or if it's even possible?
    I don't know , but I'll ask a friend..
    [B]EDF Jets.[/B] x3 [B]Wings.[/B] x4 [B]Planes.[/B] x3 [B]Gliders.[/B] x4 [B]R/C Paraglider.[/B] x1 [B]Helis.[/B] x5 [B]Quadcopter[/B] x1 :cool:

Cheers Sean... I just hate to have them sat there when they could be doing something. I've got a load of spare servos, so I might as well put it all to use, rather than having it all sat as spares.

Established Member
    Cheers Sean... I just hate to have them sat there when they could be doing something. I've got a load of spare servos, so I might as well put it all to use, rather than having it all sat as spares.
    I've set a E-Mail asking someone who should know , just waiting on a reply...
    [B]EDF Jets.[/B] x3 [B]Wings.[/B] x4 [B]Planes.[/B] x3 [B]Gliders.[/B] x4 [B]R/C Paraglider.[/B] x1 [B]Helis.[/B] x5 [B]Quadcopter[/B] x1 :cool:

Cheers Sean... appreciated.

Established Member
    I've got a couple of spare 90 size heli engines here, and I was wondering if it's possible to fit them into a plane. Has anyone ever done it or know what's involved or if it's even possible?
    I Got a reply back...

Heli engines are different to aero engines in a number of ways but the answer is yes - but not advised.
    Because there is no prop then cooling is a problem so heli engines have a much larger cylinder head fin area: that is only a real problem if you want to fit the motor into a cowl.
    Secondly, heli engines are designed to run near maximum revs all the time - you control the heli through pitch on the blades, not by revving the negine. Therefore they run at higher revs generally and operate in a relatively narrow torque / power band only available at those higher revs. Thus not suitable for accelerating from idle. They usually have a tuned pipe muffler, designed to maximise the power delivered but tuned pipes, by their very nature, minimise the bandwidth of the delivered power: again, not suitable for changes of throttle.Mixture control is also optimised at the higher revs so, if used as a 'plane engine, you would tend to get more dead sticks unless you richened the mixture - then you would reduce the power available.
    Lastly (there's probably more) you use 30% nitro mix so the fuel is expensive.

Buy an aero engine.

Good points well made. I never thought about the rev range being a problem, but after flying planes on the sim, I realised that you do use the revs a lot to control the plane, and as stated above, the heli engine and pipe are really tuned for a very narrow rev band.

I might still have a go at fitting one to something and see how it goes, but I won't hold my breath on it being a success.

Thanks for that Sean, appreciated.

Established Member
    Good points well made. I never thought about the rev range being a problem, but after flying planes on the sim, I realised that you do use the revs a lot to control the plane, and as stated above, the heli engine and pipe are really tuned for a very narrow rev band.

I might still have a go at fitting one to something and see how it goes, but I won't hold my breath on it being a success.

Thanks for that Sean, appreciated.
    Glad to help..

I'll send you a PM..

Established Member
    Quote Originally Posted by West Cork Basher View Post
    A friend from my flying club (BMFC) has just given me a FunFly Hype 3D.

Now I now very little about nitro planes as I fly Gliders , so this summer looks like it should be fun...

unless I crash it...

Sean..

Got to fly it today , bit to windy for my liking on my first flight..

My friend took off for me then switched the switch and I had control with the buddy box ,

it flow very well untill the engine died , so Peter took over again and dead sticked it nearly back to the landing strip,

unfortunately it landed short and will now spend afew hours in his work shop being repaired . .

it will fly again...

Sean.

That's a lovely bit of kit... I take it she doesn't glide like what you're used to?

The main thing is, did you enjoy the experience?

Established Member
    That's a lovely bit of kit... I take it she doesn't glide like what you're used to?

The main thing is, did you enjoy the experience?
    No nothing like a glider... lol .. I had the Radian out before the Hype.

Amazingly easy to fly the Hype on half throttle , was doing figure of 8's in no time and not losing any hight.
    Would of tryed a few loops and rolls if the engine hadn't died..

Got a txt before to say it's all repaired and ready for another outing tomorrow
    So as long as it's not raining or too windy to fly , we'll be up to the club field again for round two . .