Model Heli Services

Thread: engine help needed

engine help needed

need bit of help setting up an engine, i fitted an os46 into my new ready 2 which i took out of my crashed ready 2 now the engine starts and upto full throttle easy enough but can't get it too idle properly without cutting out, the pushrods are adjusted enough to just stay open a little when throttle right back and have tried trimming it out but still cuts out so thinking my mixture may be out so does anyone know which screw does what and what way should i turn to help, also when plane is running its fairly smoky and fires load of muck out of exhaust

Is there only one mixture screw on that engine or 2? Could you post a picture of it?

If it's just one mixture screw... Let the engine idle for about 5 seconds, then open the throttle fully. If it's slow to pick up, and smoky, it's probably running too rich. Try turning the mixture screw in maybe 1/8 of a turn at a time (clockwise), then repeat the test and check/adjust the idle.

i'll stick a pic up tomorrow and try what you said, on babysitting duties this evening, when its running it picks up power fairly quickly thats why i put it in the plane instead of the 4 stroke it came with as it seemed fairly dead, when it was in my last plane it would idle and plane wouldn't move but now it idles too quick and plane wants to shoot off as soon as its started, thanks James

setting 2 stroke idle can be a pain

Stephen
    Try checking out the idle settings in the os46 manual link below, it's petty good.
    Once you have it running on the ground remember to run the same checks holding the plane at 45 and 90 degrees nose up.

Cheers
    David
    http://manuals.hobbico.com/osm/46ax-manual.pdf
    Current Models:
    FlyFly 4m DG808s
    Kyosho 90 Spitfire, Saito 120s
    Seagull Edge 540 V2, Saito 125
    Great Planes Super Skybolt, Saito 100T Twin
    DH Mosquito, Elec. Twin
    Radian 2m Glider, Airopult Plane Restraint
    Thunder Tiger Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by C-Eagle1 View Post
    Stephen
    Try checking out the idle settings in the os46 manual link below, it's petty good.
    Once you have it running on the ground remember to run the same checks holding the plane at 45 and 90 degrees nose up.

Cheers
    David
    http://manuals.hobbico.com/osm/46ax-manual.pdf
    Thanks for that link David, can't find my engine on it yet but still going through it, my carb and all my adjusting screws are on or near carb and has a rounder cylinder head, its about 4 or 5 years old but hasn't had a lot of use and was running great til i crashed it so hopefully shouldn't be too hard to sort out, thanks again

Well I lost patience trying to get my adjustments right and managed to break a screw off in the carb (was slightly bent, must have been from crash) so fitted a new thunder tiger pro 46 this evening and started first time and ran through a full tank with no problems and only minor trim adjustments to get idle perfect

I guess that's one way of fixing it

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen24 View Post
    Well I lost patience trying to get my adjustments right and managed to break a screw off in the carb (was slightly bent, must have been from crash) so fitted a new thunder tiger pro 46 this evening and started first time and ran through a full tank with no problems and only minor trim adjustments to get idle perfect
    No problem Stephen good luck with the new engine. Next time try a 4 stroke the pop pop ver. the whine of a 2 stroke you'll never look back.
    Current Models:
    FlyFly 4m DG808s
    Kyosho 90 Spitfire, Saito 120s
    Seagull Edge 540 V2, Saito 125
    Great Planes Super Skybolt, Saito 100T Twin
    DH Mosquito, Elec. Twin
    Radian 2m Glider, Airopult Plane Restraint
    Thunder Tiger Trainer

Agree about the four strokes

Ron
    www.bandonmodelflyingclub.com